Surgery is the main stay in solid organ cancers. It is an integral part of cancer treatment and is required for diagnosis, evaluating the extent of disease and treatment thereof.
Department of Surgical Oncology at International Oncology has a team of highly skilled surgeons with extensive experience in delivering the best possible outcomes and maximize the chances of cure in a variety of cancers.
It involves removal of localized tumors that have not metastasized. It is often undertaken in conjunction with radiation and chemotherapy.
It involves removal of a tissue (precancerous lesions) that might lead to cancer. Surgery is an effective way of reducing risk.
This type of the surgery returns the body to normal or near-normal appearance following cancer treatment. The most common restorative surgery is reconstruction of a breast after a mastectomy. Other common reconstructive procedures are facial reconstruction and testicular implants.
Minimally Invasive/Laparoscopic Oncology Surgery
Advances in computer imaging and robotics have benefited both - the surgeons and the patients in equal measures. Using small cameras, miniaturized instruments and imaging equipment, tumors are removed with the smallest possible incision. It helps the patient cosmetically and also reduces the recovery time and complications significantly.
Common surgical procedures performed at International Oncology Centres:
- Head and neck cancer (skull base surgeries, laryngeal conservative surgeries and micro-vascular reconstructions)
- Breast cancer (breast conserving and reconstructive procedures)
- Gastrointestinal cancer(sphincter preserving surgeries for rectal cancers)
- Hepatobiliary cancer (pancreatic and liver resections)
- Genitourinary cancer(endoscopic procedures and continent urinary diversions)
- Thoracic cancer (lung resections, three field oesophagectomies and transmittal oesophagectomy)
- Gynae oncology (radical hysterectomies, pelvic exentration)
- Skin cancer
- Limb preservation surgeries
- Thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, thymus & other endocrine cancer
- Metastatectomy in select group of patients
- Full range of fiber-optic endoscopies